What’s good about healthy snacks? They help keep your stomach satisfied until your next meal *insert cheering here*.
The downside of unhealthy snacks? They do the complete opposite…they don’t ever really *satisfy* our stomach so we’re much more likely to over-indulge *sigh*.
- So if you feel that snack attack coming on mid morning or mid afternoon, here’s a list of snacks that will help tide you over to your next meal.
- Natural Yoghurt with Fresh Fruit
- Handful of natural, unsalted nuts such as almonds or pistachios.
- Hummus Dip with Carrot
- Natural peanut butter with apple slices
- Small Bowl of Edamame
- Olives [around 10-15]
- Multigrain rice cakes with cheese and tomato
- Cheese and Vegemite [hello fellow Australians] on a Light Cracker
- Natural Peanut Butter on Celery Stick
- Guacamole + Reduced Salt Tortilla Chips or Crackers
- Egg [simple, yet very filling due to it’s high protein content]
- Banana with Almond Butter
- Banana ‘Nice’ Cream [like ice cream but so much healthier as it’s just frozen banana whipped up]
- Small Berry Smoothie with Berries + Yoghurt + Seeds [for example pumpkin, or sunflower seeds]
- Small Handful of Berries [Berries are great due to their low sugar and high antioxidant properties]
- Trail Mix – Handful of Unsalted Nuts + Tablespoon of Dried Cranberries/Raisins.
For me personally, I like variety in my snacks so when I meal plan each week, I add in my shopping list exactly what snack related items i need to buy from the store. It’s also another great way to prevent me from going off and eating all the not-so-healthy foods my cupboard [or the vending machine] has to offer.
Here’s to healthier snacking Moddies!
P.S If you know of any other healthy snacks – i would LOVE to hear what they are 😃.